Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sleep

"Who needs sleep? Well you're never gonna get it
Who needs sleep? Tell me what's that for
Who needs sleep? Be happy with what you're getting
There's a guy who's been awake since the Second World War" -Who Needs Sleep, BNL

And sometimes I feel like that guy.  An uninterrupted night's sleep is now long-gone, and I'm starting to forget what it feels like.

Ironically, when I was pregnant, I had the best sleep of my life. Very few of the scary pregnancy dreams, and even when I had to get up to relieve the ever-full pregnant lady bladder, I would blissfully doze off afterward. Granted, toward the end, I had some trouble getting comfortable, but right up until the morning I awoke at 5am with 10-minute-apart contractions, I slept like a frickin' log.

But ever since this adorable bundle of energy and bodily fluids entered my life, sleep has become like science fiction: sounds awesome but you doubt it'll ever happen.

She "sleeps through the night" about 3 times a week, but that's 9pm to 5 am, then back down after a bottle till 6.  I sleep from about 10 till 4, when I awaken with raging back pain from sleeping exclusively on my left side. There are two reasons for this, and they are both Maeve. #1: Maeve sleeps with us in a co-sleeper.  This goes back to doing what works.  It's a nifty little contraption that keeps her on her back and prevents us from rolling over on top of her.  However, it takes up about a third of the bed, so DH and I have to sleep on our sides.  #2: It's just my left so I can get to Maeve quickly when she wakes up and so I can help her go back to sleep or spring up quickly, like a dozey gazelle, to make her bottle before she starts crying.

So while I gulp down my morning coffee, check Facebook, and give darling M her bottle, I sit with a lovely, vibrating heating pad on my lower back and scheme how I can get Maeve to start sleeping in her crib.  Then maybe, just maybe, I can return to my idyllic sleep routine. Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment