Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Grip

“I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.” - John Muir

 

It used to be that my little wonder would simply throw her arms over her head without a care in the world as she was falling asleep, like she was throwing consciousness and caution to the four winds.  But things are always changing with marvelous Maeve, and I'm noticing now she prefers to have something to hold on to.


I started giving her a little soft lovey blanket to hold while in her car seat.  Initially all she wanted to do was chew on it, but then I noted a certain reluctance to give it up when it came time to get out.  Then I saw that she fell asleep better if she had a blanket to hold onto next to her face at night, or after a bottle.  Yesterday I found her sleeping in her car seat holding onto the carrying handle, as if she were riding a tiny subway.


It brings back memories for me, as I had a blankie I dearly loved as a little girl.  It was soft as satin on one side, and the other had originally had some kind of ducky print, but my mom, to preserve it, had sewn a flower-printed layer over the ducks.  That blanket was my comfort, helped me sleep in strange places, and worked as a privacy screen when I put it over my head.


Right now, any old blanket will do for Maeve as long as it's soft, for which I am grateful.  But whenever she finds that special blanket, I'll do my best to help her take care of it so she can have that anchor as long as she likes.  It's an unsteady world, and there's nothing wrong with having something to grip.




1 comment:

  1. I love this post! What a great concept, just to have something to grip!

    ReplyDelete