What I like about Elmo:
- He's on Sesame Street, and I'm never going to have big problems with the Street. Loved it since I was a wee tot myself.
- He's friendly, he's aimed at younger kids, and he's not age-inappropriate or a bad role model. Mostly.
- I don't actually find his voice too annoying. Maybe I will in three years.
- I can never, ever hate a Muppet. It's against my religion.
- Maeve likes him, and it's not going to get me anywhere, hating what Maeve loves.
What drives me crazy about Elmo:
- The lack of personal pronouns. I get it, he's supposed to be 3. But I have known three-year-olds that successfully use personal pronouns, and I think it would be better to model the good language rather than the lack of it.
- The dumbing-down of Sesame Street - it used to be pitched to 5-year olds or so, and now seems to be pitched to toddlers, because Kindergartners these days are way too cool for Sesame Street and would rather watch SpongeBob. So Elmo, Zoe, and Abby-Cadabby have taken the spotlight, and I miss the other guys. This is why we watch old school Sesame Street on dvds, at least for now.
- The ubiquity: Elmo is on every Sesame Street product in existence, it seems. This is why my daughter recognizes him.