Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Playmate

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." -Helen Keller

Yesterday we saw the magic of playmates.  Maeve loves playing with her friend T, who is a year and a half older than her.  T is a busy toddler, mentioned previously in this blog - she's the shrieker.  Yesterday, Maeve and T got to play while Maeve was truly mobile, for the first time.  It was fun to watch.

The best part, besides T working on her sharing skills, was seeing Maeve learn things because T showed her how.  This is what Maeve is missing out on being the oldest, she usually has to figure everything out for herself.  But yesterday, T paved the way, and Maeve picked it up quick, much more quickly than she would if I showed her how to do something.

I think Maeve watches T closely to pick up new skills; she understands that T is a kid, too, and is therefore an authority on playing and toys, whereas Mom and Dad are clearly amateurs.  You can see the look on her face every time DH or I puts something random on our heads, just to entertain Maeve.  She looks at you like, "Dude, you look ridiculous. Gimme that" and removes the item from the head.  But T clearly knows what she's doing.


It gave me new resolve yesterday, to get Maeve playing with other kids more often.  I know it's good for her, I just forget how good.  So now I just need more of my local friends to have babies.  Ready... go!

Maeve and T - too busy to look up for the camera.

2 comments:

  1. If you can't force your friends to create playmates for Maeve, you should look into The Mommies Network (http://www.themommiesnetwork.org/locations.php); most of my friends don't have kids, so my local mommies group has been wonderful for both me and Sammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked - the closest meetup is about an hour from me, with that site anyway. I'm on Meetup, but haven't managed to get to a meeting yet!

    ReplyDelete