Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Future Astronaut

"Well, I'd like to visit the moon
On a rocketship high in the air.
Yes, I'd like to visit the moon,
But I don't think I'd like to live there" - I Don't Want to Live on the Moon by Jeff Moss

Maeve has been impressing me lately with her ability to recognize the celestial bodies.  We've just casually been identifying the sun and moon in her book illustrations, then last week she pointed to the moon in the sky and said "Moo".  I was super excited, since the real moon in the daytime sky doesn't look much like an illustration!

Then last week, she saw a desktop that shows a little boy sleeping, with his arms around the planets.  She pointed and said "Sun" - so she recognized the sun when it wasn't even in the sky! Totally out of context.  I was so excited that when I saw a shirt at Target (in the boy's section, but that's another rant) that said "Future Astronaut" I decided Maeve can have it as soon as it goes on sale. 

Yesterday as I was cruising Facebook, I ran across an alert letting me know that our local science museum was having a free day for residents. The planetarium has been running a Sesame Street show about space that I wanted to bring Maeve to, so it was perfect! We only had to pay for a ticket for me, and it was Maeve's first experience in any kind of theater.

Well, despite her keen interest in space (or the "staww show" as she kept calling it) we didn't make it more than ten minutes in the theater.  I think it was an intimidatingly large screen, despite the friendly characters, and she didn't want to sit on my lap for very long, either.  I wasn't at all upset, since this was our first try. Now I know that we need to wait awhile before we set her little feet in a movie theater.

And I know that she doesn't want to live on the moon.  But she can still have the shirt; a mother can hope.

More Maeve's style: playing in the observation lounge

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite Sesame Street song. Ever! Miss Maeve is such a little smarty pants! I love it!

    ReplyDelete