Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sugar High

"A lot of people like lollipops. I don't like lollipops. To me, a lollipop is hard candy plus garbage. I don't need a handle. Just give me the candy." -Demetri Martin

Maeve has only had candy three or four times in her life so far, and the event I regretted most at the time was letting her have a dum-dum at a restaurant.  Do NOT give a toddler something sticky with a handle unless you are prepared to be evenly coated in the stickiness for hours afterward.

Yesterday I gave her a small bite of my sugar-free strawberry red vine, and she licked and chewed it for roughly ten minutes.  Since it didn't have a handle, she only managed to get it on her face and my arms, but there was definitely stickiness involved.

My Red Vine was sugar free because I am spending a month without eating sugar, outside of fruit and unsweetened fruit juice and fruit leather. It's just another attempt at dropping a few pounds, and I have no idea if it will work or not.  But I figured September is a good month to try, as there are no holidays which would be spent utterly miserably without sugar - I would not try this in December.  I am not imagining it will work particularly well, but if it does, I'll let you know.

It's funny how something Maeve does without just fine is so hard for me to let go of.  I mean, for one thing, that girl is a rocketship in the morning, no cup of coffee needed.  Some things I don't miss, like sugar cereal, so I'll probably cut it out of my diet entirely.  And maybe I'll try sugar free candy a little more often... although its lack of actual sugar didn't seem to keep Maeve from getting all candy-crazy.


Moe?


No comments:

Post a Comment