Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Maeve!

 I do not know how it is that my daughter is two, time seems to move at an accelerated pace when your heart is living outside your body.  Since my little girl loves outer space, that was our theme on Saturday for her party.  This first shot is the Sun, being orbited by Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, while faceless Astronaut silently watches.
 Maeve is Two said the banner, and so it was.  She got up from her nap to find a house full of her friends, and despite really liking them and being excited, she was also very sleepy and shy, and I had to carry her around for a good ten minutes before she'd interact with the other kids.

 However, she enjoyed the communal toddler eating experience- each kid would set down some food, then another kid would come along and finish it.  It takes a village to finish off the peanut butter cracker sandwiches and apple juice!
 No one was disappointed in the party favor, namely, balls with the kids names on them, which vaguely resembled planets.  The boys pictured above spent a lot of time kicking balls and generally transporting them around the porch.
 While the girls caught up on their busy social lives and shared some more apple juice.  Maeve was holding her Planet Maeve ball below.
 I made dairy and egg-free cupcakes for the kids; as it turns out, chocolate frosting covers a multitude of sins.  Not a single kid went for the orange cake, they gobbled up the chocolate!
 My mother-in-law made and decorated this beautiful sun cake, which was a lemon cake with lemon filling and orange flavored frosting - totally killer!  All the grownups enjoyed it!
 But Maeve was happy to shove the whole frosted part of the cupcake in her mouth!  She did not, however, enjoy all of us singing Happy Birthday to her, and sat there saying No no no no the whole time.  At least she didn't cry!
 Did I mention the kids liked the cupcakes?  I love T's cupcake goatee.
 Maeve's present from us was a big, soft Foofa doll, which got a lot of love (and consequently, a lot of chocolate frosting) at the party.  The other kids kept making off with her, and I kept bringing her back to Maeve.
 Maeve and T have been friends for awhile now, and they had a lot of fun playing together - even washing their hands together in the bathroom.
I was showing Maeve the cool planets (note she still has Foofa).  That orange one, Jupiter, Maeve has decided to call Big Neptune.  I have no idea why, because last week every planet she saw was Jupiter.  My big two year old girl is a mystery sometimes, but I am so lucky to have her in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment