Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Monkey See, Do

 "The human is indissolubly linked with imitation: a human being only becomes human at all by imitating other human beings. " -Theodor Adorno

Even though it gets her in trouble sometimes, I kind of like the monkey-see, monkey-do thing we have going on around here.  It's fun to see Maeve trying to do the things I do... although it's telling, I suppose, that she never pretends to clean things up.

Two prime examples from yesterday; the best one was when she made dinner.  Daddy asked her, "Whatcha doin'?" as she raced across the living room ten minutes before her bedtime, and she said "Makin' dinner."  We asked her what she was making, and she divulged to us a few ingredients: orange, mushroom, bacon, lemon soup, and she fed a few bites to Daddy, obligatory yummy noises included.

It was exciting that this play kitchen we got her is really starting to figure into her pretend play.  When she first played with it after Christmas, it seemed like it was just going to be another place to stash her baby doll, but now it's where she makes dinner.  And anytime I busy myself in the kitchen, she asks if I'm makin' dinner, and often busies herself with the same.

Her most favorite thing to mimic is being "onna cup-pewer" whenever I leave the room.  Anytime I go upstairs to fetch her more pretzels or juice, I can guarantee she'll be sitting in this seat when I get back, unless Elmo is engrossing her.  Which, I might add, she is not supposed to do.  So I get a cheeky, guilty look every time I come back down the stairs.  Is it bad that I enjoy this, even as I scold her to get down?  She just looks so cute sitting here, and the worst she usually does is type on my post-it notes on my desktop.
Note that she is trying to make off with the remotes as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe, I love this phase of their development! Sammy recently brought some plates, utensils and wooden food out for his baby--I think seeing his little cousin get spoon-fed every day really made an impression on him. Now if only I could get him to mimic me putting his books away every day... :D

    ReplyDelete