Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Take Some Credit

"A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit." -Arnold H. Glasgow

It used to be that the best I could say about a difficult situation with Maeve was "Well, at least it was over quickly" or "Thank goodness she slept really well after that".  But yesterday we did the near-impossible, and spent 4 hours in a medical room the size of a walk-in closet, full of things she wasn't supposed to touch, and Maeve got through with flying colors.

She was in good spirits, she was compliant and nice to the nurses, she listened to my instructions, and generally came off quite a well-behaved kid.  I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, especially once it got close to, then past, her naptime.  But no shoes were to be found, and she just kept being patient and good.  Did somebody swap kids with me?

I think it's possible that I am raising the child right.  That all those discussions about listening to doctors and nurses, being patient when you need something, using words instead of screaming, all of it is sinking in a little. 

Also, it helped that my bags were packed to the gills with bribes and fun stuff to do.  She tried Playdough for the first time yesterday and definitely got a kick out of it.  Also, gummy Jolly Ranchers are pretty darn good.

But since it was an exhausting and sort of pointless exercise yesterday (she got a hive at the very end, game over) it's nice to be able to see the silver lining and take a little credit.  Why not?  If it had gone miserably, I would have beaten myself up over it, so why not do the reverse?  Score one for Mom.
Not from yesterday.  But a cool shot.

1 comment:

  1. It's always a relief when things work out better than planned. You were prepared! My boys NEVER would have made it through FOUR hours of sitting around. NEVER!!

    ReplyDelete