Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Show Grover The

One of Maeve's favorite ways to involve us in her play is to put us in charge of one of her stuffies/dollies, then allow her to show/explain things to them.  This happens a lot with new dollies or stuffies, who don't know their way around yet, and don't know that the Christmas lights on the tree will turn Maeve's hand green, or that she can ride in her "rocket" or her "boat" and go to Mars or the Museum, or both. 

The key words that let us know it's time for this sort of deal are "Show ____".  As in, Show Grover I'm silly! Show Wall-E the ornaments! Show Eve I'm upside down!  Show Mammoth I'm sleepin'!

Here's the thing, though.  The animals or dollies, to show they are really paying attention, must comment upon the activity in some way.  Or she will just keep saying Show Mammoth I'm drinking TEA over and over again until Mammoth says he hopes it's not too hot.  But just you try to keep Wall-E in character (he only says 5 different words in the movie) and comment on a 2 year old jumping on a bed.  All he can say is Whoa.

And Daddy and I have both gotten pretty good at Grover and Wall-E.  Well, I am passable at a Grover voice, but Maeve doesn't seem to mind.  The key is not using any contractions, as Grover is not a contractions kind of guy, and using a very singsong tone.  My Elmo is no good at all, but she doesn't usually want him along, anyway.  And I'm sorry to say my Pooh Bear is deplorable, but she doesn't critique it at all.

So if you see my husband or I walking around, holding a stuffed animal, who seems to be very interested in what Maeve is up to, now you know why. 
Show Minnie Mouse the ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment