Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

A Small Rumpus

 “And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all.” ― Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are

For the first time this week, Maeve sat through - and enjoyed- all of Where the Wild Things Are.  The book, I mean, there's no way she's seeing that movie for a LONG time.  But after Maurice Sendak passed last year, I ran out and bought a copy, because it's such a treasure and I wanted to be sure Maeve had one.  But then it didn't hold her attention, not right then.

But now she loves watching Max's bedroom turn into a jungle, and likes to watch him sail away on his boat.  She asked me yesterday what a rumpus is, and I told her it's a very wild, noisy party.  We were playing pretend on the bed, she was sailing in her boat, and she thoughtfully said she would rather have a small rumpus. 

Maeve went on to explain the difference between herself and Max from the book; she said that Max lives in the tallest tower and she lives in a small tower.  I thought it was very insightful and a good comparison, because it's true, Maeve is not a big risk-taker, and is not an overly wild child.  She would never have been made Queen of All the Wild Things, certainly, but she can appreciate a guy who would.

I am grateful for my little girl who prefers a small rumpus and a small tower, even if she does have her wild moments.  And I love that she already knows this about herself, already.

Property of Maurice Sendak

No comments:

Post a Comment