Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What's the Digestive System?

“Happiness for me is largely a matter of digestion.” ― Lin Yutang, The Importance Of Living 

I was waiting, patiently, for the whys to hit.  I know kids go through an inquisitive phase, a time when they want to know about everything and how it works.  Being a former, and permanent, teacher, I'd been kind of looking forward to this age, honestly.  I love being able to explain things to Maeve, and when I can't, I love teaching her how to find out the answer.

What I didn't expect was that she'd be asking me the same question, or variations on it, over and over, day after day, ad infinitum.  She has now been asking me about the digestive system for about four days, or possibly a lifetime.  Mostly she asks this way: Mom, how do we crunch food?  But what she's really asking for is a detailed tour of the digestive system.  If you answer by telling her how we use our jaw muscles to move our jaw up and down to make our teeth chew our food, she'll get super cranky at you.  I may have tried that a few times yesterday.

So I went into teacher mode yesterday and scored some books on digestion and the human body from the library, found some videos online, and did some digestion art with Maeve on the dry erase board.  But I still got to answer that question in various forms all day yesterday, and I imagine I'm in for more of the same today.  She also wants to know about the bloodstream, since it's part of the digestion process, and is really interested in blood and what it does.  So I have more boning up to do.

Mommy's rendition of Maeve "crunching food"

No comments:

Post a Comment