Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mom, Stop Talking Now

"Sitting down for dinner not only helps you learn, but also teaches you how to listen - which I feel is the most important skill to have. I remember as a kid going around the table listening to everyone's day. It was hard to have the manners not to interrupt back then." -Michael Symon 

I know it takes kids a long time to learn not to interrupt, but Maeve seems to have skipped right over interrupting, and just begins to talk loudly over the top of whoever-it-is.  If she's annoyed that I'm talking to Daddy, she'll just bellow MOM STOP TALKING and then say her piece.  It's not so much an interruption as a complete abrogation of the other speaker. 

The current procedure in such circumstances is I stop Maeve, demonstrate to her the polite way to let someone know you'd like to speak, then remind her to wait until we're done speaking to begin her speech.  And this works, but only after we've been bellowed at to begin with, which is not ideal. 

I will take any tips you have about teaching children to wait their turn to talk, but in the meantime, Daddy and I are just muddling through.

Yes, I would love to drop everything and hear you sing "Scales and Arpeggios" with your guitar. Again.


No comments:

Post a Comment