Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Remembering All Our Traditions

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder

This Christmas season is shaping up to be even more fun than last year.  Maeve is really big enough not just to understand what's going on, but she really wants to participate, and remembers what we did last year.  When I hung the felt advent calendar I made last Christmas, she asked me if there were Wall-E and Eve ornaments still... something I didn't realize she remembered from last year.  She really wanted to "help" put up the Christmas lights, and put together our tree, and I know she'll be able to hang some ornaments this year, too, which probably means my years of having evenly-distributed ornaments on the Christmas tree are officially over.

Maeve got to pitch in with the gingerbread house this year, which she had just been dying to do.  It helped that the royal icing I made was too thick and didn't work, so I ran out and got some can frosting at the store which she's able to eat, unlike royal icing which is made with egg whites.  So she jumped right in and stuck lots of jelly beans on the roof of the house for Christmas lights.  She was beside herself that she got to eat the frosting AND the candy. Whoo!  I can hardly believe she got a nap yesterday!  And I should also say, we used the IKEA gingerbread house kit, which just has gingerbread in the right shapes for a house, and it turned out so cute!

I can't wait to see what other traditions she can really participate in this year.  There are definite benefits to having an older kiddo!


No comments:

Post a Comment