Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

I am Often Somewhat Exhausted

“I am somewhat exhausted; I wonder how a battery feels when it pours electricity into a non-conductor?” 
― Arthur Conan DoyleThe Adventure of the Dying Detective

Embarking on my fifth year of parenting, there's one thing about being a non-parent that I really miss: having normal energy levels.

I actually don't remember what it feels like to have enough energy to do everything I need to do, all day, and then only collapse onto the couch at night because I feel like it, not because I literally can't do anything else. I only remember a little bit what it felt like to sleep on a weekend until my body had naturally had enough sleep, because that hasn't happened since I was pregnant.

I know they will return to me, these feelings of energy and being rested. I know this will not last forever, and I will miss these beautiful days of young childhood. But you know what I won't miss? "Sleeping in" till 5:15 and feeling like that's a big deal and I should have lots more energy now. Because that's kind of pathetic.

But I love mornings, too, Mommy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment