Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Glad to See my Brother

Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring — quite often the hard way. ~Pamela Dugdale

For lots of reasons, I can't explain why it was a big deal to see my brother yesterday. I mean, simply, we hadn't seen each other in more than 5 years, and that's a long time to go without seeing a sibling. He had been living in France, then Boston for the last few years, and none of us could afford to fly out and see each other.

Like lots of family relationships, it's complicated, but yesterday was relatively simple. We had lunch together in an iconic Denver diner (called - yes - the Denver Diner) where I had never been before, despite growing up here. It was a very fun place to eat and Maeve loved looking out the big windows to see what was going on outside.

I was surprised to see my brother has grown a giant beard, but since Maeve was meeting him for the first time, he just looked a lot like my dad to her, I imagine. She certainly charmed him with her rainbow space dress and her giggles.

It was a good lunch, and I was so glad to see my brother again.


No comments:

Post a Comment