Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

It's Like Catching the Rain

“Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have a theory that lately, when Maeve is sad, for some reason she gets overwhelmed with ALL of the reasons to be sad that she can think of in that moment.

In the crying that comes inevitably after a big episode of acting out or generally being naughty, she has been confessing to me that the REAL reason she's upset is... well, something unexpected and unrelated.

Like after her giant tantrum at the store last week, when she was crying on my lap, apologizing, she told me the real reason she was upset was that I wasn't having a baby. Well, I told her it was okay to be sad about that, and we cried together for awhile. Not for one minute do I believe that's why she lost her mind at Sprouts, but it's okay to mourn for things that make your kid sad.

Yesterday after being sent to her room for hitting me and the dog, she came back downstairs, penitent, crying, saying the real reason she was sad is she doesn't want me to leave her at preschool. So, more cuddles and love from me, and reassurances that I will always come back, that she will love it, that there will always be a grownup there to look after her, etc. Again, I'm pretty sure she didn't hit the dog and I because of separation anxiety, but fine, while you're feeling upset, we can talk about other things that make you upset.

I have no idea, man, I just keep trying to discipline/comfort/console whatever behavior comes along.

It's like catching the rain

No comments:

Post a Comment