Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Religious Education

I think five is a great age for religious education.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I can tell you that Maeve is happy as a clam at our UU religious education classes at church.  She has learned about kindness, telling the truth, and even the importance of asking permission before touching someone. And she is loving the social aspect of making friends and playing with new kids every week.

One of the things she loves the most about church is learning the songs. Okay, so she takes after me a little bit and really connects to ideas through music. In fact, she asks me to sing "church songs" as her lullabies at bedtime.

The thing about Unitarian Universalist religious education is that its aim is to teach children both about many world religious traditions, and our own UU values. So Maeve is learning about what people from many religions believe, and even some philosophies like humanism and atheism, as well as our 7 UU principles.

I think it really appeals to her sense of curiosity and desire for understanding the world around her. And I'm really grateful that our fellowship has such a strong Religious Education program that makes a safe and caring place for her to learn and make friends.

Maeve with her chalk self-portrait at the fellowship

The kids have the best climbing tree out back in their play area. So great!

No comments:

Post a Comment