I feel at a loss to decide what to do.
Our local school is working hard to help Maeve succeed, but the curriculum is very worksheet-driven and well below her intellectual level. This is not a huge issue for me, as her motor skills still need a lot of work and the writing part is good for her, but she is too sharp by half for the curriculum. And she hates worksheets. Also, she struggles a lot with focus, which we're looking into from a medical perspective.
The local charter schools, as an option, either have values that do not match ours, or are only welcoming to "advanced" children and don't do well helping students who have trouble with focus. And my gut tells me I don't want Maeve at a charter school.
The only Montessori schools are preschools, and one private school looked like exactly what would serve Maeve best, but their tuition cost is $12,000 a year. Which is, needless to say, not in our price range.
I cannot afford to stay home to homeschool her, as I need to get back into the working world after my 5 year hiatus. If I had a homeschool co-op with some other likeminded parents, this option would be my preference. But just like the private school, we just can't afford it.
So I guess I will leave her where she is, and give her the best of what I've got as far as advocating for her, educating her outside the classroom as much as I can, and trying to help her put it in perspective. But when I think about her laboring away on worksheets all morning, it makes my heart hurt.
What would you do?