Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Song

"Toil without song is like a weary journey without an end." - H.P. Lovecraft


Instead of grousing about my near-sleepless night (@#$%^&* teething), I decided to write today about song.


I have never sung so much in my whole life as I do right now.  I produce an endless litany of You Are My Sunshine, Tender Shepherd, In the Jungle, Old MacDonald, Imagine, Rainbow Connection, and I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, to name but a few.  Just this week I started singing Maeve some Natalie Cole - like Paper Moon and Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup.  Anytime I want to distract, cheer up, or relax her, I sing.


The best part about singing is that it distracts, cheers, and relaxes me, too.  As Mr. Lovecraft hinted, it eases the burden of toil, which is why sailors and miners always have a song - or did do, at any rate.  Singing pauses my emotions, so that I can give Maeve pure love and attention; it dissolves my anger and my fears.  Song makes my bad days bearable, and my better days brighter than a new penny.


My sweet DH is watching Maeve for me one night a week so I can sing with a very cool women's chorus that I have sung with for 6 seasons, I only took a break when I was pregnant.  We had our first rehearsal last night, and it was wonderful to see everyone and to add my voice to theirs again. I'm sure by our concert in November that Maeve will know our songs as well as I do, and I look forward to sharing music with her for many years to come.


Songs from our choir


No comments:

Post a Comment