Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mashup

"I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food."
~ Robert Orben

It's zucchini season! These glorious, giant, ubiquitous veggies are flooding everyone's gardens right now.  I decided, while the getting's good, to get some and start making and freezing baby food for my Maeve.

Last night I cubed, steamed, and mashed summer squash and zucchini, and made about a quart of baby food.  It was squishy, and quite a vibrant color that made me want to sing "great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts"! DH helped with the mashing once my wrists gave out, and he agreed the color was... evocative.

I find out tomorrow whether our new pediatrician thinks Maeve can start solid foods yet, and I can hardly wait.  Of course,we won't start her on zucchini; it'll be rice cereal initially.  But the baby food making adventure has begun!   know it'll be messy, wild, and unpredictable, but I'm so excited to see what Maeve likes and doesn't like.  There's so much for all three of us to learn!

Trying out the high chair

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite thing so far, baby food tasting. We love to have S try food. I wish I had a garden, but at least we make our own! We puree bananas, carrots, pears, sweet potatoes and more....it's so good for baby! We started at 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great if you can make your own. I made carrots once...then got lazy and bought the jars. By number four, the whole babyfood thing got old, so I moved him to table food as soon as I could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you incorporate quotes into your posts - I love quotes!! I might consider myself a quote addict! Love the blog - the baby food post brings me right back! A new must read for me!

    ReplyDelete