Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Growth

"It's not only children who grow.  Parents do too.  As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours.  I can't tell my children to reach for the sun.  All I can do is reach for it, myself."  ~Joyce Maynard

Maeve has her four month appointment this morning.  While I'm decidedly anxious about her shots, I'm just bursting with excitement to find out how much she's grown!   After not gaining an ounce for her first two months, I feel waves of elation every time I'm told how many pounds she's gained.  At her last appointment about a month ago, she was up to 12 pounds.  Today I'm guessing she might be up to 15, but we'll soon see.  Yesterday I had her in a 12-month outfit, and it didn't have that much wiggle room!

And Ms. Maynard is right: I know I'm growing, too, and so is DH.  Not only do we become more like real grownups every day, but we gain ounces of patience, insight into ourselves, and awe for the power and tenacity of life.  Nothing makes you realize that you're a parent like noticing you haven't eaten a warm meal in weeks because your baby always comes first.  I liked to think of myself as a fairly selfless person before I had Maeve, but never did I imagine how easily I could give up hot meals and comfortable sleeping arrangements for my little girl to have a warm bottle and better sleep.  

I hope my big girl and I can be brave for the shots today.  At least I'm beginning to have more faith in myself, that I can be as brave as I need to be for her.  Mommy is growing up, too.

 

3 comments:

  1. I was close! 14 lbs 15 oz and 27" long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow almost 15 lbs...that's great! Ryan is 13 lbs, 10 oz at 4 months old. How big was she at birth? Ryan was 8 lbs, 6 oz.

    ReplyDelete