Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ha Na

"Kindle the taper like the steadfast star
Ablaze on evening's forehead o'er the earth,
And add each night a lustre till afar
An eightfold splendor shine above thy hearth." -Emma Lazarus

So I really do know that Hanukkah is next month.

It's just that I bought Maeve a book about Hanukkah, to go with her book about Christmas, so that even as a little bean she can get a broader view of the world.  I would love to find her books on Diwali, Kwanzaa, Solstice, and other winter holidays, just to round things out, but those will prove a little harder to find on a budget.

Maybe it's just that I love Christmas so much.  Winter is my favorite season, and celebrating hope and generosity with my family fills my heart with wonder and joy.  So I could go for, like, six more of those holidays in there, no problem.  As long as we are celebrating the light that shines in the dark, I'm there.

It appears that I may have given some of my love of the winter holidays to Maeve, who brings me her Hanukkah book to read about three times a day.  She hands it to me and says "Ha. Na."  So we read it again.  We watch the family light the candles, make latkes, eat, dance, sing, and sleep. 

I want to show her all the wondrous things in the world that I can, and that includes anyone brave enough to light a candle against the dark.

And I know she's paying attention.

3 comments:

  1. That holiday carol sing at the Unitarian Universality church was one of my favorite holiday experiences. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...by Universality, I mean Universalist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa - it was great! How funny was it that it was supposed to be for kids, and we were the only non-parents there!! I still get a laugh out of that.

    ReplyDelete