Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Helping Grandma Garden

"The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses." ~Hanna Rion

There are a select few things that, at this age, Maeve can actually help someone do without making more work for them or hindering what they were trying to do.  Luckily, gardening is something she can help with, at least as much as she messes with it, so it evens out.

Grandma V was here over the weekend, putting in some lovely flowers into my garden.  She planted up my whiskey barrels with Sweet Williams, snapdragons, and some pretty pink ground cover, put a Columbine in next to my Saint Francis in our courtyard, and put some carnation-relatives and strawberries in my herb beds.  What a great early Mother's day for me!

Maeve put a lot of effort in to digging holes, squishing dirt clods, and watering, which are three things she's just exceptional at.  And with some help from me, mostly stayed out of Grandma's way.  She loves plants and flowers, and especially loves watering them whenever she thinks they're 'thirsty'.  It's a good thing we live here in Colorado, where plants are 'thirsty' most of the time!

Every morning, Maeve trails behind me (or runs out in front) with her little elephant watering can, generously watering the lawn, paving stones, weeds, dirt, and flowers in an egalitarian manner.  It's one of the best parts of her day and mine, until I tell her there's nothing left to water, and she throws a big tantrum.  But time with her in the garden is very tranquil up until that point, and I make sure to enjoy it.

I want whatever Grandma has!
Francis and the Columbine
Pansies and primroses
Digging

No comments:

Post a Comment