Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Power of Suggestion

 "I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places. " -Henny Youngman

I will probably have a knot in my stomach all day today, because Maeve is seeing her new pediatrician for the first time, for her two-year checkup.  New doctor, shots, maybe a finger prick, and probably some crying.  Doctor visits are the bane of my existence.

I am going to try a trick.  Maeve had been on banana strike for two weeks, infuriatingly asking for bananas and then refusing to eat them, so I stopped buying them.  But yesterday she really wanted to watch the Elmo's World about bananas, and about halfway through, she came up to me pleading for a manana.  So since we live a few blocks from King Soopers, I acquiesced.

You know what else I have on dvd?  Elmo Visits the Doctor.  It can't hurt, right?  Just a friendly reminder from Elmo that doctors are nice people who want to make you feel better, and stethoscopes don't hurt.  If she will listen to Elmo about the bananas, maybe she'll trust him on doctors, too.  And then maybe we can get a good start with this new pediatrician.

Whatever you say, Elmo, old boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment