Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

New Doctor Success!

"Can I see another's woe, and not be in sorrow too? Can I see another's grief, and not seek for kind relief?" -William Blake

I cannot convey to you the relief I felt as we left the doctor's office yesterday, when no tears had been shed, no screams had issued forth, and I had not had to pin my child down for any procedures.  It is the very first time since we left the hospital with Maeve that she has not cried or been distressed at the doctor's.

Our new pediatrician is so kind, she spoke at a soft volume, played with Maeve, and interacted with her just right for her age and shyness.  She did peek-a-boo with the eye flashlight, let Maeve play with her stethoscope, and let me hold her as much as possible during the exam.

I think all the Elmo goes to the Doctor paid off, too, because all day I'd been telling Maeve we were going to see a new doctor today, so she wasn't surprised or scared.  She was relaxed in the waiting room, and cooperated fairly well with the nurse, too.  And she was very happy when she got her sticker (and a sucker from us), and seemed pleased with herself.

It's such a load off my mind to think that our doctor visits are going to improve.  I had scarcely dared hope, after her lifelong aversion to the medical profession, that this was possible.  It also really helped that she had no shots yesterday, so it was a pain-free visit. 

And the real surprise yesterday was that Maeve is 38 and 3/4 inches tall, which puts her, if the theory is correct, at almost an inch taller than her Daddy at her adult height.  Oh my goodness.

Big girl watching Elmo goes to the Doctor yesterday, with her Bashbo (blanket)

1 comment:

  1. So glad that she had a positive experience. Hurray for a great doctor! :)

    ReplyDelete