Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Saw It

"Well! The buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot... And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all." -Zazu, The Lion King

Normally, Maeve and I have very limited conversations.  I ask questions, she answers, or she petitions me with a lengthy chain of word-like structures that ends in an important noun and a question mark.  But I was so impressed with her, yesterday, and here's why.

I was pushing her around in the big red shopping cart of Target, checking to see if their patio cushions are any cheaper yet.  (They aren't).  Then this exchange ocurred:

Maeve: Giraffe.
Momma: How come you're thinking about giraffes, honey?
Maeve: I saw it. (Points)

And sure enough, there, hanging from the ceiling, was a giant picture of an inflatable swim ring with a giraffe's head.  I told her what a smartie she was, and circled around a few times to let her keep looking at the giraffe, which, as she pointed out, was so cute

Maybe to someone who hasn't spent a lot of time around infants and toddlers that doesn't seem like a big communication leap, but most of the time when I ask a question like that, I get a total nonsense answer, or none at all.  So any kind of meaningful back-and-forth we have (that isn't an argument about whether or not she can have another popsicle) always feels unique and exciting.
Maeve and some real giraffes last fall at the Denver Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment