Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Popsicles, Not Plans

"I doubt whether the world holds for any one a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice-cream. " -Heywood Broun

I am usually a person who sets a date with someone and keeps it; or rather, I was, before I produced offspring.  Now I'm a person who cautiously warns the other person that I am in, as long as Maeve doesn't throw me any curve balls.  But she is a wild pitcher, and I am frequently caught off guard.

She had been in her new nap schedule for a week and a half, going down around noon or one.  So making plans to meet up at the Denver Botanic Gardens at eleven thirty didn't seem totally reckless.  But as you know, she awoke almost an hour early yesterday, and was not in a pleasant mood.

So she went down at nine thirty, a full four hours early, and my plans lay in little pieces on the floor.  I managed not to lose my cool, just texted my friend and let him know the wrench was in the gears.  Again.  If it's not my kid, it's his kid, and we live an hour apart, so when something goes wrong, it's generally unfixable, and we reschedule.  So that's okay.

But she was so miserable yesterday, I really wanted to cheer her up -affordably- so I came upon a plan.  Starkiss bars at Dairy Queen.  Our new place is walking distance from a DQ, so it made a good outing, with plenty of mellowing walking for me, and not too long a wait for frozen sugar for her. 

I ordered a cherry bar and a red, white, and blue one, and she picked the patriotic option.  It didn't take her long to give it a try, and she reported to me that it was so yummy.  About once a minute.

We both perked up after that, which just goes to show that a popsicle and an outing can go a long way in making a day turn around.
First bite: so yummy.
Still pretty awesome.

2 comments: