Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Daddy and Grandpa

"Grandchildren don't stay young forever, which is good because Pop-pops have only so many horsey rides in them."  ~Gene Perret

There has been such a major overhaul of our basement room that now whenever Maeve hears power tool noises, she says, "Grandpa workin', Daddy helpin'."  She is now nearly immune to the sound of an electric drill, even a power saw. 

That's because what once held a giant, 70's era hot tub is now a guest room with an en-suite bathroom- a huge change.  Grandpa Dale and Daddy have been hard at work every weekend for the past several months getting this room ready: using a saws-all to take apart the offending hot tub, redoing the plumbing, setting a shower, putting up walls, pouring concrete, and generally working very hard.

We can't afford to pay Grandpa Dale except in free meals, so we try to make sure they're darn good ones, and yesterday, since it was Father's Day, I went all out and made avocado-mango shrimp tacos, and Grandpa fried up some corn tortillas for us.  If I do say so myself, it was a great dinner.

Just one more day, and the place should be ready for my parents to come and stay, and they're getting in on Thursday night, so I have a little time to get the room looking nice.  I am so grateful to my husband and my father in law for how hard they've worked, and it is really paying off!


1 comment: