Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Nap Struggle

"For sleep, riches and health to be truly enjoyed, they must be interrupted. " -Jean Paul

In the last week, Maeve has napped 3 times.  Every other day has involved one form or another of extreme nap avoidance techniques.  She has asked to go take a nap, and then laughed at me while she wiggled all over the bed during her lullaby, obviously thinking it's a big joke to make Mommy increasingly enraged.  And I am slowly adjusting to the fact that naps are now a boon and a blessing, not part of the schedule.

I have resorted to things I have never done, like driving Maeve around until she falls asleep; the hole in this plan is that once she's out, the car still has to be moving for her to stay out, and she only ever sleeps for about 20 minutes in the car.  But we were having family over for dinner that night, and I knew 20 minutes was far preferable to no nap at all.

Yesterday I tried just leaving her in her room and ignoring her, and she played quietly and happily by herself, demolishing her bookshelf, for about 40 minutes, so I figured there was no nap coming.  Then I left her on the couch with a movie on while I went upstairs to fix her a snack; she was out like a light by the time I returned.  I dimmed the lights, paused the movie, and let her sleep for an hour. 

I was so happy that she got such a long nap, but she cried for 20 minutes when she woke up, just inconsolable, and I have no idea why, but I'm thinking the tv-nap is not going to work for us, either.  Today I will just try one more time and see if she'll go down later in the afternoon.  But I am totally befuzzled right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment