Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

All By Herself

"I'm so proud of all those things. But he is my biggest pride. " (about his son Sean) -John Lennon

It has a been a couple of weeks of some exciting firsts around here, and I, as usual, am bursting with pride.

The big one yesterday was that Maeve figured out how to pedal her tricycle.  She's still only allowed to ride it on our expansive deck, but I will let her graduate to the cul-de-sac as soon as I get her a helmet, and if she'll wear it.  I've been trying to teach her how to pedal ever since we got her the bike a month or two ago, but since it has one of those big, back handles for me to push, she wasn't all that keen to learn.  But yesterday she figured it out!  And she was clearly very proud of herself.

I was also particularly happy that she volunteered to help me clean the table when we had company over on Sunday.  I was out there with a rag, wiping down the eternal stickiness, and she grabbed a rag and pitched in, and really actually did help me.  I also made her clean up her own mess (water she deliberately spilled on the wood floor) and she actually followed through and got it pretty dry, so I'm very pleased with that.

I think the one Maeve might be the most proud of, because she's been practicing and trying for ages, is that she can now blow a bubble with the bubble wand.  It's really hard for her to hold the wand at a correct distance from her face, and blow with the right amount of force and direction, but now if she keeps at it for a few minutes, she can produce a bubble or two, and she gets so excited every time!

And last but not least, she's really getting her pronouns together.  This may not seem like a big deal, but she sounds much more in control of her language skills when she says "I can do it!" rather than "Maevie do it!"  And she's even learning she and he and it, and when to use each, and that's not easy.

So here's to my big girl, learning new things and surprising me every day.  I love discovering along with her all the new things she can do!  Even if sometimes they terrify me!
So big!

No comments:

Post a Comment