Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Looking for Dinosaurs

“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Here's something I love about Maeve, something I feel I did nothing to influence, but was pleasantly surprised to find was there.  She believes that extraordinary things happen in Nature, in the Outside, that magic belongs in the Wild.

Maybe all kids know this instinctively?  Maybe we all understand that to see the fairies, you have to travel into the heart of the woods.  It's just that, when I think about it, her board books do not tend to be mystical or fantastic, so I wonder how she came to these conclusions.

I can tell she believes magical things happen more often in a magical setting, because when she sets off to find Totoro, or dinosaurs, or the Manna, they all appear to be hiding away from the playground, out in the trees or by the creek.  Maybe Maeve, like most of us, finds both peace and excitement in nature.

I'm not sure of the reasons, but it makes me want to take her on more nature walks; I think something about the Outdoors and nature is very good for her insides, even at her age.  It's also why I want to get her one of those nifty leaf canopies from IKEA for her bedroom, to bring a little wonder and adventure into the space over her bed.  My darling girl is so marvelous some days, it's all I can do not to just stare at her in wonder, but she totally doesn't like it when I do that.
Looking for Totoro by the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment