Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keeps Me Guessing

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... " -The Spanish Inquisition, Monty Python

Yet another nap routine has bitten the dust.  1 pm naps are out, and with what replacement?  Yesterday she fell asleep at 4:45, which is not great timing, since we were in the car, nearly home from picking up Dad, and fifteen minutes from eating dinner.  So, clearly that's not an acceptable naptime. 

So today I am throwing the schedule out the window, and will try putting her down at ANY point during the day when she seems tired.  Luckily, we have no plans for today, so we can just go with the flow.  But I think the child is trying to drive me into madness.

Am I the only one who feels angry and betrayed when what 'usually works' for my child suddenly and irreparably stops working?  It just defeats my logic.  You napped at this time for four months now, suddenly that's not good enough for you anymore?  And I know it's illogical to be mad at her for changing things on me, after all, it's her body and its needs that are changing, and she has no control over that. 

But I'm onto her game.  The times they are a-changin', and I'm going to be on board with that today, as much as I can.  Wouldn't it be so much easier to be a parent if kids didn't always change the rules on you?
NOBODY expects the Maevie Inquisition!!!

1 comment:

  1. that's definitely what I do - I keep a beady, eagle out for that tell-tale eye rub. ONE EYE RUB - from either kid, and down we go. It tends to fall between 1-2, but sometimes will be right around 2. It's tough, isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete