Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Singing Friend

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Berthold Auerbach

Yesterday, it was my turn to drive my church choir director from her friend's house in Lafayette back to her radiation appointment in Wheat Ridge.  I knew Maeve might not be wild about the idea, so I brought some treats to keep her occupied, and hoped for the best.

Maeve immediately did not like my choir director, or at least was very shy and scared of her.  In fact, she hid her head under her blanket for a pretty fair portion of the drive.  There was construction on Wadsworth, so it was slow going, but I tried to buoy her spirits with Christmas music and a candy cane. 

My director kept making attempts to engage Maeve, which were definitely not improving front seat/back seat relations.  Maeve gave her the stinkeye pretty solidly, from what I could see in my rearview.

Towards the end of the ride, my director turned around and explained to Maeve that she is one of the friends I sing with, and that singing makes her happy, and makes me happy, too.  Then she and I sang "I Wonder as I Wander" when it came on the Christmas cd.  Maeve listened very quietly, unused to hearing Mommy sing with other humans (besides the occasional "I'm A Little Teapot" duet with Daddy).

After we dropped my director off at her house following her treatment, I thanked Maeve for helping me to help a friend of mine.  Maeve, relieved to be just the two of us again, looked at me and said, "Mommy's friend that she sings with?"  And so she had finally made the connection, since when I go to choir practice on Monday nights, Daddy always tells Maeve that Mommy is singing with her friends. 

Maeve may not like that I'm gone one night a week, but maybe she will understand a little better why singing with my friends is so important to me.
Hitting a high note?

No comments:

Post a Comment