Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Back to Work

I have not had a paid job, outside of blogging gigs, since March of 2010.  I have had a tyrannical little boss whom I significantly outweigh and outrank who has really messed with my schedule, duties, plans, and activities, but that's another blog.  Really, this whole blog, I guess.

Ever since I discovered Teenie Greenies, my very local children's resale store, it was my goal to get a job there.  So when my friend, the owner asked me point-blank yesterday when she could hire me, I very nearly did a whoop and a wild dance of joy right there in the store in front of God and everybody. 

But I didn't. I contained myself.

I don't know when exactly I'll start, but my life plan is coming together, right before my very eyes.  As we speak.  Right here and now, today.

I had given a lot of thought to what I might like to do once Maeve is in school, and for a little while I thought I might be a postpartum doula.  But when I thought back on what work experiences were the best for me, I realized that the best job I've had so far was when I worked at the bridal rental store.  Helping girls find their dream dress for a fair price was such satisfying work, unlike most retail jobs. It's apples and oranges, comparing ringing people up at Target to seeing a woman's face when she finds her perfect dress, and then getting to tell her it'll only cost her $179 including alterations, when she just got snubbed 20 minutes ago at David's Bridal for being bigger than a size 12.

So I wanted to get back into what I was thinking of as 'helpful retail'.  Only this time around, I wanted to be helpful to moms.  And that dream is coming true. 

If I seem a little odd this week, a mixture of being overwhelmed, missing my husband and total euphoria at welcoming this next phase in my life, well, now you know why.
Kind of like this.

3 comments:

  1. When we show up to our lives with our values intact, we often bump into opportunities that actually fit where we are growing;-) The next phase will unfold nicely, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this ^ comment!

    Also, that is wonderful news! Gives me hope for my future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marissa, I love what Sarah said. I think showing up in my own life with my values intact is a big goal of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete