Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Saying Thank You

“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure what connections have been made for Maeve lately, but when other adults are around, she is getting so much better at interacting with them, especially with saying sweet things to them and being grateful.  I'd like to say I'm modeling all these behaviors for her, but I don't know if that's it, or if she just has a better grasp of her words and is using them for good.

When our friend Becky was here on Tuesday, Maeve sidled up to her during dinner, gave her a hug, and said I love you, Miss Becky! which melted hearts all around, big time.

Last night, when our friends Tim and Glenn were here, Maeve told both of them that she was so glad they came several times, and handed out hugs on a couple of occasions.  And when I brought her dinner out to her on the deck, she said, Thank you, Momma, that's so nice of you!  I just about fainted dead away on the spot - usually my bringing dinner to the table is an occasion to make several more demands, not offer gratitude!

I think either she's making some big mental leaps, or she's trying to keep me from putting her on the curb with a for sale sign, since she woke up an hour early again this morning, which makes me dread that we'll have another napless day.  Heaven help us.  I guess I have to keep her, though, because she told me I'm her friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment