Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Something Something Hmmm

In our family, making up song lyrics is an inter-generational trait.  My grandfather, when he was alive, used to make up words willy-nilly when he didn't know a song, or so my mother and her sisters tell me, which was especially funny when he forgot the words to hymns.  My brother was the same, just threw in whatever words fit when he lost track of the thread of the song.  I'm sure I did it, too, but I have a pretty good memory, so once I've heard a song, it tends to stick.

Maeve's two masterpieces this weekend were Jingle Bells and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.  Why?  It's hard to explain, but let's say that Youtube and a toy guitar are involved.

Here's her take on Jingle Bells, just one particular line is funny:

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to ride in a something smart and hmm hmm!

And Girls Just Wanna Have Fun:

My mother says when you gonna live your light light? Oh Mother, dear, we're not the faucet ones, and girls, they wanna have fu-un.

I like how she just makes up what fits, and I would never correct her, because Cyndi Lauper isn't that high on my priority list for the child's education.  So we just giggle and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment