Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Just Two Dandelion Girls

“The miracles of nature do not seem miracles because they are so common. If no one had ever seen a flower, even a dandelion would be the most startling event in the world.” - anon

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."--Buddha

I have always been a dandelion girl.  My dad used to yell at me for blowing dandelions in the yard and spreading them around, but I've always wanted more, not less.  My mother taught me, early on, how to make dandelion chains for necklaces, crowns, and other ornamentation.  I showed Maeve how yesterday, but I think she's a bit young to pick it up.

I wore dandelions on my head or around my neck just about every summery day in high school, so much so that I became known for it.  Like, people stopped staring at me and and just shrugged.  High school was merciful to me that way.  I even painted dandelions on my graduation cap, bright yellow against the traditional deep blue.

So when I had the chance, yesterday, I told the two little girls with whom I was on a picnic to run and get me heaps of dandelions.  As many as they could, with as long of stems as they could manage, and soon I had piles of sunshine flowers in front of me.  I quickly strung them into crowns and decorated the girls and myself.

I believe in the beauty of the everyday ephemeral.  There are moments that seem common as weeds, but shine as bright as that unmistakeable yellow, and they are worth celebrating, holding on to, turning into ornaments.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment