Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Inching Back to Normal

“People were buying milk, or filing their cars with petrol, or even posting letters. And what no one else knew was the appalling weight of the thing they were carrying inside. The inhuman effort it took sometimes to be normal, and a part of things that appeared both easy and every day. The loneliness of that.” - Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Well, "normal" is a long ways from where we live, but we are back into our usual swing of things today.  Daddy just left for work, and in a few hours I'll take Maeve into my work with me for a few hours.  We'll spend our probably-rainy day together, then go pick up Dad, have dinner, and I'll be off to choir for the evening.  I guess it should feel like a relief, but really I'm going to miss having Daddy around all the time. 

Does it ever feel like this to you, like when the whole family is together, that it's how life really ought to be, and then the rest of the working week is an intrusion into the natural order of things?  Maybe I just don't have enough of that good ol' Protestant work ethic, but a day spent apart from part of my family always seems like an aberration from how things ought to be.

Anyway, Maeve and I will have plenty to do today, between work and play and maybe a nap, although she's been trying to ditch those lately.  Also on the schedule, she and I are going to make/bake some kind of treat.  I'm thinking sugar cookies with candy corn pressed into the top.  So I'll try to keep us busy and not think too much about Daddy until dinner time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment