Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

When the Desire Comes

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life" - Proverbs 13:12

Does it sounds strange to say that having to put off social plans due to the flooding was making my heart sick?  Maybe I should say it was stressing me out.  At any rate, I was not happy at all when I couldn't see my friends that we'd invited over last Friday.  I think when you get excited about something, you build up your hopes, and then when things don't work out, it can be a big disappointment.  I had to tell myself, hey, it's still going to happen, just not tonight, and cheer up, because your house isn't underwater.

But even with that little encouragement, I was bummed.  However, knowing all day yesterday that the floodwaters had abated and my friends could now visit me, I had a little bounce in my step all day.  It was like the kids in Empire Records on Rex Manning Day, nothing could get me down. 

And, no kidding, having them over and just being together was a total tree of life experience.  It felt like life as it should be.  Kids playing down the hall, grownups stirring the sauce and drinking wine, joy and togetherness, just as if we hadn't recently been separated by one of the biggest floods in Colorado history.

The tricky thing about how it takes a whole village to raise our children -and I believe it does- is that it's hard to get your whole village together.  A lot of my village lives in other parts of the country, or other countries, or even just a few hours north or south of me, and that's a pretty big span.  So it always feels good when even just one small part of your village comes for a visit.  In my ideal world, I could just live in one city with all my friends and family, one little small town where Maeve and I could hold hands and walk to see all of you.  But the economy of reality is just not like that anymore, not for me.  So I take my village/tree of life moments whenever I can get them.

Which is to say, y'all come back now, y'hear?

Maeve and her friend A.  Not at our house last night, but still, best buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment