Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

The Hippy Hippy Shake

One of the great things about being 3 is you don't have any preordained ideas about what kind of music you like and don't like.  You don't hear a reggae song and think, That's not too bad, but I don't really like reggae (the way I would tend to do).  Your body hears the music and dances, without much of a cultural filter.  So Maeve likes music that's in English, Hindi, Spanish, or French without missing a beat.  She likes classic rock, oldies, Latin, 80's pop, 90's pop, yes, and even Reggae.  I have not let her listen to rap on the grounds that I don't want her to get hooked on something I mostly despise and also, it's pretty challenging to find clean, well-done rap.  In fact, that whole phrase may be an oxymoron, but I digress.

We were at A&W yesterday, which plays a continuous stream of 60's music in an attempt to bolster their classic, "drive-in" image, which I find odd, but enjoyable.  Maeve was shooting me her usual line of questions, asking me if each song was being sung by girls or boys.  The 60's made that distinction hard to make.  These are the Beach Boys, kiddo, I know they sound like girls. 

Suddenly, the Hippy Hippy Shake came on.  Not the one by the Beatles, this one, by the Georgia Satellites.  Anyway,  Maeve jumped up out of her chair and started shaking what I gave her, as it were.  She loved it!  So last night we did a quick download of a few songs she has really liked lately, plus I will go on a hunt through my music and see what else might be up her alley.  And hopefully today she will have a new mix to listen to in the car, for more grooving pleasure.




No comments:

Post a Comment