Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hoping for the Best

”I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness”. - James Thurber

I have known about Maeve's allergies since she was two months old; that was when we found out about the milk.  Then at about 5 months, we discovered the egg allergy, even though I promise, I didn't feed her any egg at that age.  She reacted to rice cereal in a way that indicates to me it must have had some kind of egg in it, because she's never had hives all over like that since then.  Every year since, we go through the misery of getting retested in hopes of finding a diminished reaction.  And we are going through that again today.

I know you guys know this, but I have to sound off a little about the sheer unfairness of allergies.  Maeve has never had real ice cream, pizza, quesadillas, mac and cheese, french toast, corn dogs, scrambled eggs, or lots of other foods most kids her age take for granted.  I hate that other kids' favorite foods are treats she's never had, that I can't give her.  And I really hate when she sees something Dad and I are eating and looks at it longingly, knowing she can't have any.  It's the worst.

So if you have an extra moment today, please be thinking about us around one o'clock when her appointment starts.  And allergy appointments are not at all fun; she will be scratched on her back with different allergens and a control, which will itch like crazy no matter what the other ones do.  And she'll have to wait for about ten or fifteen minutes with her back itching and me not able to touch it or let her touch it.  And if we're really very unlucky, there will be a blood draw.  In which case I will need the help of a couple other phlebotomists to hold down my giant 3 year old. 

So, happy thoughts all around.  And oh boy, if we find out her reactions are diminishing, I will be so thrilled.  Full report as soon as I know.

Poor pumpkin's first hive reaction. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment