Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fear and Loathing Dentistry

If suffering brought wisdom, the dentist’s office would be full of luminous ideas.  ~Mason Cooley

To me, growing up with bad teeth was like Original Sin.  It didn't matter what I did about it, my teeth were always terrible.  I don't think I ever had a checkup without a cavity being found, not until I got all my adult teeth and slapped some braces on 'em.  I still have perpetual guilt about having bad teeth.  I don't care that they aren't perfectly white, but I fear dentists and am always prepared to hear the worst.

Now I need to get Maeve into a dentist and I have a huge, sinking fear in the pit of my stomach,  Which I know is terrible, because she'll be able to tell that I'm nervous and stressed and she'll be afraid, too.  But my kid is so sensitive to loud noises, and dentistry is all about loud noises in the mouth.  Unavoidable.  It's uncomfortable at best, and my daughter freaks out when doctors take her blood pressure.

Are there pediatric dentists that give out valium?  Some for her, some for me?  I seriously cry every time I think about her in a dentist's chair.  I don't know how we're going to do it.

Please share your words of comfort here, if you have any.




No comments:

Post a Comment