Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Love and a Cough

"Love and a cough cannot be hid." -George Herbert 

Listening to a child coughing in the middle of the night has to be a special kind of parent torture. At least my child doesn't have any delicate health conditions, just a cold, but listening to her cough last night transported me back a hundred years, to the time of tuberculosis. It also reminded me that I owe the universe this karma, as I used to keep my parents awake when I'd cough as a kid.  I was an inveterate cougher.

But oh, just two hours after we fell asleep last night, she was up coughing. I went in and sat her up, gave her a drink of water, then Daddy went in a few minutes later and gave her some cough medicine. We had the humidifier going, she was propped up with pillows, but sometimes nothing will really help.

And predictably, she was up at 5:15 this morning, ready for the day. At least today she has plenty of time to nap, and by all that is good and holy, I swear I will get her to nap today. Knocking on wood. So we're watching A Bug's Life at our house this morning, with me carefully skipping the scariest grasshopper parts, and hoping for a little peace before she really gets going.

Cough face :(



No comments:

Post a Comment