Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Proud Parent Beaming-Smile

“All of us have moments in out lives that test our courage. Taking children into a house with a white carpet is one of them. ” ― Erma Bombeck

You might think I would be down in the dumps since my beloved Broncos completely failed to show up and play football at the Super Bowl last night.  But meh, there's always next year. Actually, today I am super proud of my daughter, and I'll tell you why.

We brought her with us to a friend's house last night for a very small Super Bowl party. There were four other kids there, all within a year or two of her age. There was also a small dog. If you know anything about Maeve, you know that that right there is a setup for disaster. And we adults mostly tried to let the kids do their own thing, while one of us would just run upstairs when it got too quiet or too loud.

And my Maevie, my little Maeve, she did great. I watched her, twice, share a toy she was playing with because another kid wanted it. I watched her freak out about the dog at the beginning of the night and three hours later, try to feed it her chips and not notice it was lying a foot away from her. She had a blast, both playing with the other kids and playing by herself, as she is wont to do, and she didn't want to leave when bedtime rolled around.

Sometimes you feel like you try and try to teach your child things and you think, she is never going to get it. She's going to be 40 and refuse to share cookies with other people. And then you see her out in public and remember, she might not be nice to you, but she's getting the message. Slowly but surely.

And then you get that proud parent beaming-smile that nothing, not even a catastrophic near-shutout Super Bowl loss, can wipe off your face.

I didn't get any pictures at the party, but here's my little introvert at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment