Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Having a Four-Footed Shadow

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”  ― Milan Kundera

Being a dog owner is sitting pretty well with me. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments of exasperation or just plain feeling exhausted and not up for taking him outside one more time, but in general, my days are even warmer and sweeter and full of extra love.

Yesterday I got to finish reading my Shakespeare's Star Wars with him curled up next to me on the couch, while Maeve was getting a bath. I had forgotten how good it feels to pet a dog and read a book at the same time, but what an immense pleasure.

It was a big day for Patches yesterday, too, he got his first car ride since he got home from the pet store. Daddy put up a grate between the trunk and the backseat to keep the pup safe, although Patches was not pleased at being separated from us. He did whine for some of the ride, but seemed excited, too. It'll take awhile before he's accustomed to it.

It was also Patches' first thunderstorm yesterday, and although he seemed interested and a bit alarmed about all the noise, he didn't act stressed or whine or anything, even though we spent some of the storm out on our covered porch. I thought maybe he would do better if he spent that first storm with us, as close to is as possible without being uncomfortable.

I really am loving having Patches around - and am getting accustomed to having a four-footed shadow.





No comments:

Post a Comment