Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Remembering You on Memorial Day

"He loves his country best who strives to make it best."  ~Robert G. Ingersoll

Today is a day to remember. And although I've written about most of these people on my blog before, forgive me, and give me a moment to thank the people among my friends and family who have served in various branches of our military, in various ways.

To my grandmother who passed away more than ten years ago now, who served as an Army nurse, and my grandfather who passed more than fifteen years ago, who also served in the Army, I am grateful.

To my living grandfather who flew planes for the Army, I am grateful.

To my friend who just returned from her tour in Afghanistan, I am grateful.

To my friend and my second cousin who serve in the Air Force, I am grateful.

To my friends who have husbands, brothers, sisters, wives, or family who have served, I am grateful.

To my friends whose loved ones did not come home, I am so grateful.

Military service is so difficult and demanding that to me it is beyond my imagination. Yet so many people I care about have given all or some of their lives to that service. So as we sing at church: 

I am saying "Thank You"
I am saying "Thank You"
I am saying "Thank You"
"Thank You" is my practice.

My paternal grandfather

My paternal grandmother, who was an Army nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment