Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

On Naps and Slow Rebounds

I learned, this past weekend, that in a pinch, the child can still take a nap and rebound from it to have a good attitude, if given enough time.

She woke up too early yesterday, I mean massively too early, not just the usual ridiculously early. And I knew that the sleep deficit was going to catch up with us eventually. I hoped that some time just relaxing in the afternoon would balance us out, but the child refused to sit still for more than ten minutes, so voluntary resting on the couch turned into involuntary naptime.

You know, it's not easy to put a 43 inch, 40 pound 4 year old down for an involuntary nap. There was a lot of screaming at first. But I managed to communicate through repeated instruction that if there was no nap, there would be no going out for pizza with Grandma and Grandpa later. After many defeated sighs and I guess I'll just call Grandma and Grandpa and cancel threats, she took a nap.

She probably could have slept another 2 hours, but I didn't want her up at 4:30 am again, so I let her go for just 45 minutes.

We gave her plenty of time to wake up and be nice to the world again when I woke her up, because she was still a giant, weepy crabcake at that point. But 45 minutes later, we were at the pizza place and all was right with the world.

ICEE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment