Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

Maeve and her Appreciative Listeners

“An appreciative listener is always stimulating.” ― Agatha ChristieThe Mysterious Affair at Styles

It's so delightful to me to watch Maeve interact with other adults. She's even starting to manage conversations with strangers when they ask her questions, but the best thing is adults who love her. Once she senses that she has a captive audience, she jumps in with both feet and patiently explains to them everything she knows on a topic.

I remember the feeling of having an adult listen to me, really listen, and how they would sometimes give me the impression I was imparting important information. There was no feeling like that in the world. Sometimes other kids didn't understand, or were uninterested, or were about to mock you for what you just said, but never grownups.  It gave me such a rush to feel listened to and important, it's probably part of why I used to want to be a teacher.

And watching Maeve explain mummification (again) to her aunts last night, as they solemnly nodded and asked good questions, I could tell she was feeling it, too. It's not that having your parents listen to you means nothing, but you kind of feel like they have to listen to you, it's their job. But when other adults listen so intently, it feels like a confirmation that you have interesting thoughts, that you are worthy of being really listened to.

I'm just so glad she has people in her life that will do that for her.

Like her grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment