Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Twenty-Four Brand New Hours

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment." -Thích Nhất Hạnh

I can't put a finger on exactly when it happened, but Maeve has become a person who actually likes mornings. Bear with me, because I bet you thought she was always a morning person, since she's been waking up before the sun for a good couple of years now. But it used to be that she would awaken angrily, insistently, and certainly not with a smile on her face.

Now that her body is pretty well adjusted to no naps and going to bed early, though, she now smiles as she descends the stairs to come see me, with a sweet Good morning, Mommy on her lips. She never used to say that to me. It was more like I'M NOT GOING BACK TO BED and that was it!

So even though the child still regularly arises before most people would agree is sane, I still appreciate the smile on her face while she does so. It's a lot easier to be nice to a child who's being nice to you, after all, and I don't need challenges to my kindness before the coffee has been drunk.

Everything is awesome when your kid is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment